Friday, April 27, 2012

Diabetes and Lose Weight with Common Sense


Let’s face it, , having diabetes is difficult but at the same time challenging. You walk out your front door and what you see is McDonalds, Wendy’s, Burger King, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box and this list can go on and on. We live in an obese society where it shows no signs of getting better but rather worse. If you are disciplined and take a common sense approach, common place dilemmas do not have to be complicated.  

To prove my point, here is an excerpt from an article by Caleb Hellerman of  CNN entitled Soft Drinks: Public Enemy Number One in Obesity Fight?

"If you switch from Coke to water, that's easy," says Elizabeth Mayer-Davis, a professor at the University of North Carolina and a recent president of the American Diabetes Association. "You don't have to make big complicated changes in how you cook, and shop, and all that. And the number of calories you can save can be substantial."

Not only do you save substantial calories, you also save 65 carbs of which is 65 mg of sugar. You are drinking sugar water. I used to ask myself that question. So here is what I did. I replaced my soda intake with water and added exercise four days a week. In the matter of four months I went from 195 pounds and 38 inch waistline to 160 pounds and a 32 inch waistline. That approach started in June of 2010 and I have kept that weight off. My eating habits did not change during this time.

It was nothing more than a simple change on my part that allowed me to lose and keep off 35 pounds. As soon as my pants began to feel loose I knew something good was happening. I had more energy more confidence in myself.  The only downside that I have encountered is to find out that clothes are not cheap. 

If you have diabetes and you justify your soda consumption by buying diet only then challenge yourself, for one week only buy a 24 pack of water and drink it in place of soda. You will not only save money but you will also feel better. After that week, challenge yourself again. After three weeks, it should become habit.

Having diabetes in a society where obesity is a problem leads to an assortment of health problems which can lead to complications to diabetes. A common sense approach can alleviate that and it starts with smart choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment